Tuesday, October 14, 2008


Art Exhibition

Last night I went to my first art exhibition in Kerala. It is called Gallery OED, and it is actually the same place where I attend my dance class each morning. This art gallery has new paintings on the walls every 2-3 weeks, and buyers can purchase the paintings from the artist. Each time there is an exhibition, the walls are painted to match the theme of the artist’s paintings. This exhibition was called “Through the Bioscope” by Madhusud Hanan. I had the pleasure of also meeting this artist! I didn’t really understand all of the paintings because a lot of them were abstract. I could see that each painting told a story, even if I wasn’t able to grasp the story. Each person has a different perception of what a painting means to them. From my perception, the paintings had a lot of machines in them. I mentioned this to the artist and he called them “silent” machines. Later, I went downstairs and viewed the artist’s short film which as titled “History is a Silent Film.” It was an older black and white film and there was no sound, but every once in awhile there were subtitles. It was a story about a man who fixed film projectors. While he was working he would fix the projectors, and then watch the films. Doing this reminded of his father who also fixed film projectors but disappeared from his life without any traces. He saw moments captured on this film, birds flying, a dancer dancing, a man walking. Through these moments he saw history, the war in India, dancers, the footsteps of a man he once knew. He realized that his father was alive on this film, and it pained him to remember this. I believe that everyone has a creative streak to them whether it be through writing, dancing, painting, and more. I admire people who perform in the arts, especially painting, because the genius lies in the abstract concepts that come deep within the depths of their mind. Only they can reach this depth, yet in a way I can oddly connect with this painting once I understand the meaning of it. I asked an artist who had an exhibition a few weeks ago where he got his creativity. He explained to me life itself was his inspiration and those events that occur. I was able to meet many interesting people at the exhibition because my dance teacher, Geetha was there and introduced me to journalists, artists,
and photographers. All in all it was a great night because I met some interesting people, ate great food, and explored a realm that was not familiar to me.
Other creative minds....

No comments: